Monday, September 16, 2013

Generosity


It has been an amazing few weeks. Originally when I decided to do a marathon it was a personal goal. One that I felt I needed to do and one that I wasn't quite ready to commit to until I had passed the 30km mark in my training and pressed the 'paid' button on the registration form. After that happened the goal became not only personal towards finishing a marathon, but in turn I wanted to raise as much funds as I could to help a cause close to my heart. 

It was a no brainer that I would choose Autism NSW (ASPECT) as my charity given the way that Autism has touched my life. 

I am so humbled and in awe of the generosity of others in the last few weeks that I have had my fundraising page open. Its hard to ask people for money, but in the end I just forgot about what people thought of me asking and just asked anyway. In the end I know that people who resonated with my plight would donate to it and they did. So much so that I have raised over my initial fundraising goal of $1500. To know that I will make a difference in the life of a child with autism through the services Aspect provides because of YOUR donations just fills me with so much joy. 

When I came home this afternoon and checked my email and clicked on the 'new donation' link I burst into tears when I saw that I had gone over my goal. It has made all the early morning and the late night runs, the running in the heat, the miles and miles alone out there, the setbacks, the money spent, the injuries and the tears and the time away from my family training all worth it.

The marathon is going to be hard, probably more mentally than physically now, but I plan on doing it with a huge smile on my face as I know that you put a smile on someone else's when you chose to be generous. 

Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Nic xxxxx


No comments:

Post a Comment