Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Anzac day memories

Today was a hard day. Today always evokes somber emotions in me, not only as I remember those service men and women who faught so hard and continue to fight so hard at war for our freedom, but because I remember my Grandfather, Alfred Rudolf Schulstad. A great man. A father, grandfather, great grandfather, soldier, comrad and friend.

My grandfather was marked to serve in WWII as a stretcher bearer. He was also part of the Army band. He probably saw and heard things that were hard, and he never did really talk about those things. He has a war diary and medals that sit on my aunties all. Memories.

My grandfather passed away a few years ago now. He was in his late 80's. He was a faithful and loving man.

I remember watching him march on Anzac day in Camden for the last time, hunched over and walking along side my dad. He could no longer do the 4 hour city march. But nothing was stopping him marching for his country. I was so proud of him. I am so proud of him.

I miss him so much.

This is his last march in the city. Jonah was a baby and I remember when he walked past I was so excited, shouting out his name and he looked at me with a heart so honored. I will never forget.

Lest we forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment