Sunday, June 16, 2013

Winter days

The winter weather finally hit this weekend don't you think? There is nothing I love more than snuggling up by the fire under a warm rug with coffee in hand, sleeping in flannelette sheets and the crispness of the morning. Today I went for a 16km training run at 6am. The coldness could have stopped your heart if it wasn't for the fact that I was pumping so much blood around my body running! I love starting the day like that when it's winter...calm and quiet, the world waking slowly. 



This weekend's heralding of the season led me to purchase the biggest pumpkin ever in order to make one scrumptious pumpkin soup. I chucked all the ingredients in the slow cooker and off I went to netball in the freezing cold wind. That was after I had made another loaf of sourdough as I awoke. It has been ages and what a joy to see my loaf come out of the oven, even if it did appear a bit wonky!



There was nothing better than coming home to the smell wafting through the house and my sourdough
freshly baked that morning ready to devour for lunch!



If you want to make this pumpkin soup and you own a slow cooker, you can too, otherwise the same recipe will work just fine on the stove top.

Winter Pumpkin Soup


Ingredients
1 large whole butternut pumpkin, chopped
1 large onion
2 tsp curry powder
salt and pepper
enough chicken stock to cover

Method
Chop everything up and throw into the slow cooker. Cover with enough chicken stock and add your salt, pepper and curry powder. Cook on high for 4 hours or on auto all day if your out! 

When the pumpkin is soft and cooked through use a stick blender to blend all of it up in the slow cooker pot. You can keep it on low so that it stays warm for when you are ready to eat it.

I top mine with some sour cream and some spring onion accompanied with my toasted sourdough or a nice crusty loaf.

Do you love winter?
What's your favourite time of the day?
Do you love pumpkin soup too? Is this how you make it?

No comments:

Post a Comment