Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Recovery

Three weeks ago I felt a familiar lump in my lady area :). I knew straight away what it was as I had experienced it before. Straight away I went to the GP and got her to give me some antibiotics. I couldn't believe that this was happening to me again in the same year!

Six months earlier I had had the lump, which ended up being a Bartholins cyst of the bartholin gland. I ended up in emergency within three days and having an operation.

I was determined not to have an operation this time as I am in the middle of training for my marathon in September. Well that may be on hold now as over the past few weeks I have felt the cyst get bigger and bigger.


On Sunday it actually started to hurt a little which meant that it was turning into an abscess and so I took myself off to the hospital to get it checked out.

Surely enough they said that I would need surgery again and that it would be that night.


The cyst ended up being 3cm x 3cm in size, so it was quite big in that area, however not as big as last time is it was around 4cm last time.

So currently there is no training happening and instead I am lain up on the couch bored as anything watching tv and trailing the internet. I am itching to get up and clean the house or something but I know that I have to let my body rest to recover quicker so that I can get back on track.

I urge all women if you have something like this to go and get seen to straight away so that you can get treated. It is a common thing that women have to go through and unfortunately this is my third time! I hope that it doesn't happen again and if it does, I will be asking for the whole gland to be removed!

For now I will be right here if you need me.....

6 comments:

  1. oh you poor thing! I've been there and done that (three times too!). Rest up and take it easy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no Bec really?! Isn't it just AWFUL!! Did you end up having the gland removed??

      Delete
    2. Nope. But I've had surgery twice and just the antibiotics the third time. For added fun, each time has been in a different part of the world (twice I was overseas on holiday when it happened - I was so thankful I bought travel insurance!), so that may be why I've not really looked into the gland removal side of things.

      Delete
    3. Ok. Yes I had antibiotics first time and surgery twice now. No more I hope!!

      Delete
  2. Hope you recover quickly and that it never comes back!

    ReplyDelete