Monday, July 23, 2012

Power food - Brown Rice, beef and vegie salad


So yesterday was the Sutherland to Surf run. I decided to go in it as preparation for the half marathon in 5 WEEKS!!....yes, only 5! {I am quietly packing it}. I was chatting to my friend about what she was going to have as a pre-race, night before dinner and she said that her trainer told her to have brown rice and red meat. Now, I haven't had brown rice in like forever. I am happy to say that now, I will only have brown rice. I loved it and even better when cooked in my new bargain $12 rice cooker from kmart! Rice is SO MUCH BETTER cooked in a rice cooker I have to say!.

Anyway I was thinking how I could jazz it up and so I just whipped up this salad and well, it was sooooo good and I dropped some off to my friend who needed said brown rice and red meat and she was rapped too, so next time you have a race looming or any activity at all, or just need a healthy pick me up, give this baby a whirl.

Ingredients

Steak (any cut, however much you like)
1 red capsicum
1 can corn kernels or a fresh corn cob 
1 can chick peas, drained
1/2 red onion
cooked brown rice
2 tsp curry powder
salt and pepper
bunch or coriander
juice from half a lemon


Method

So, in a pan add the steak, brown and set aside to rest, cut up when cooled.


cook your rice in a rice cooker, or on the stove if you don't have one and drain (if cooked on stove)



cut up some red onion and the capsicum 


and fry in the pan that the steak was cooked in with a little olive oil until softened


In a large bowl mix together all the ingredients. Add the corn, the chick peas and the cut up coriander, some salt and pepper and squeeze in the lemon juice. Toss around a bit.



serve up. You could have this as a main or a side dish...either way you will love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment